How much do you know about rules and laws in the United Kingdom? You can do this interactive exercise to practise the uses of have to, don’t have to and mustn’t.
|buy a newspaper||bought||buying|
|call a taxi||called||calling|
|dance the tango||danced||dancing|
|exercise/ housework/ your homework|
|draw a picture||drew||drawing|
|drive a VW||drove||driving|
|eat fast food||ate||eating|
|find some money||found||finding|
|a newspaper/a taxi/an e-mail/dressed|
|home (arrive)/to work (arrive)/get up late|
|give her a present||gave||giving|
|away for a week/by bus/for a walk|
|home/out on Friday/shopping|
|to bed/to work/to church/to class/to a restaurant|
|to the beach/to the cinema/to the gym|
|a coffee/a sandwich/a drink/a good time|
|children/a car/a shower/breakfast/lunch/dinner|
|hear a noise||heard||hearing|
|listen to the radio||listened||listening|
|live in a flat||lived||living|
|look for your keys||looked||looking|
|make the dinner||made||making|
|meet a friend||met||meeting|
|paint a picture||painted||painting|
|read a newspaper||read /red/||reading|
|ride a bike||rode||riding|
|run a race||ran||running|
|see a film||saw||seeing|
|sing a song||sang||singing|
|sleep for seven hours||slept||sleeping|
|smoke a cigarette||smoked||smoking|
|swim every day||swam||swimming|
|photos/the dog out for a walk/your umbrella|
|talk to a friend||talked||talking|
|tell me a secret||told||telling|
|travel by plane||travelled||travelling|
|turn on the TV||turned||turning|
|use a computer||used||using|
|wait for a bus||waited||waiting|
|wake up early||woke||waking|
|work in an office||worked||working|
|write a sentence||wrote||writing|
Advertisements (adverts / ads)
- It lasts so long that … you won’t need to buy it very often.
- It lasts for such a long time that …
- It’s so long-lasting that…
- It’s such a long-lasting product that …
- Just one bottle will do so much that …
- You can wash so many plates with just one bottle that …
- You can do so much washing-up with just one bottle that …
- Duracell batteries are __________ good that they almost never run out.
- They’re __________ good batteries that they almost never run out.
- They work __________ well that they almost never run out.
- With Duracell you can use your device __________ __________ times that the batteries will last for years.
- With Duracell you can use your device __________ often that the batteries will last for years.
- It sticks things __________ fast that it could trap a mouse.
- It’s __________ fast-acting glue that it could trap a mouse.
- Its strength is __________ great that nothing will ever come unstuck.
- Superglue can stick __________ a lot of different materials that you can use it to mend almost anything.
- Superglue can stick __________ __________ different materials that you can use it to mend almost anything.
- You can rely on a Peugeot car __________ __________ that you won’t need to take it to the garage except for routine services.
- Peugeot cars are __________ reliable that you’ll hardly ever need to take yours to the garage.
- You can drive __________ a long way in your Peugeot, without taking it to the garage, that you’ll save a fortune on repair bills.
- Peugeot cars have __________ a reputation for reliability that you should buy one without a doubt.
- Peugeot cars are __________ good value for money that you’ll never regret buying one.
- so many
- so many
- so much
- Write five sentences of your own to advertise the following products.
- You don’t need to use the words given in the prompts: just use your imagination!
1. Product – A breakfast cereal
Characteristic – crunchy
Benefit – enjoyment
2. Product – An Internet connection
Characteristic – fast
Benefit – saving time
3. Product – Lipstick
Characteristic – glossy
Benefit – attractiveness
4. Product – A children’s toy
Characteristic – adaptable
Benefit – hours of entertainment
5. Product – Language classes
Characteristic – up to date
Benefit – motivation