I. Can you label the parts of a plant?
Check your answers here.
II. We are going to watch a video about the importance of water.
But, first, let’s see what we know about the water cycle and the basics of how water works to grow food.
- How do plants tell us they’re thirsty?
- How many inches of rain do most garden plants need each week?
- What is the process of photosynthesis?
- Which of the following nutrients are essential for plant growth: nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus?
- Does water help hold up plants so that they can better receive light from the sun?
- Does water fill the plant cells and help plants stand tall?
- What is the process of transpiration?
- What is the process of condensation?
- What is the process of precipitation?
- Do you know what a rain garden is?
III. Now, let’s watch the video so that you can check your answers to the questions above.
IV. Complete the following definitions with these words: condensation / evaporation / photosynthesis / precipitation / transpiration
- the process that helps plants make food using sunlight and carbon dioxide
- the process by which water is released from the plant in the form of water vapor
- the process by which the water vapor on plant leaves evaporates and joins other water molecules going up in the air
- the process by which water molecules come together in clouds as they cool and turn back into the liquid form
- this takes place when the air can no longer hold the liquid in the clouds and the water comes back down in the form of rain or snow