Level : 5th grade
HOW TO DO A RECIPE
Pupils will read some recipes from different books, magazines, websites… and they also will watch some cooking programmes from Youtube in order to familiarize with the topic and complete the worksheet.
Recipes and cooking programmes:
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/JX_mgKuySDI" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
Kids’ First cook book ISBN 0-7513-6633-1
Get real! make a meal ISBN 186396060-0
The usborne beginner’s cookbook ISBN 0 7460 3380 X
* INTERNET : Children recipes
LET’S CHOOSE A RECIPE
* the teacher divides the class in groups of four pupils .
* Each group will decide to prepare a different recipe. (We will try that they choose recipes around the world).
* Each pupil decides which resource they will use to find out the information ( videos, books, internet, dictionary,…)
* Once the groups are done. Each group will decide the name of its cooking programme and recipe, also who represents each role.
We have four roles:
· One presenter of the programme
· Two cooks
· The assistant (this person tells the ingredients and the cooking tools that are needed to prepare the recipe)
* Then at home, pupils have to look for information about the ingredients which they will need and some photos from magazines of the ingredients
* Pupils will do two worksheets one about cooking tools and other about cooking actions in order to familiarise with the vocabulary needed to write and understand a recipe
MY RECIPE YOUR RECIPE
Once pupils have read some recipes from books, websites, etc… The teacher shows them a written example of a recipe . (Example – recipe)
The group of four pupils will use it as a guide to write their recipes, and they will fill in the worksheet. (Worksheet – Recipe)
Each member of the group memorizes a part of the written recipe taking into account his or her role in the cooking programme.
The teacher tells pupils which ingredient they have to bring to school in order to make the recipe.
The teacher records the different cooking programmes and sends the videos to the other schools who participate in the project.
WATCHING COOKING PROGRAMMES
Pupils watch the different cooking programmes from the other schools and they will do a listening activity of comprehension, for example, a multiple choice activity.
RECIPES AROUND THE WORLD
Pupils will do a mural of a world map. They will colour the countries which the recipes are from. They will then stick on the mural the written recipes done and the written recipes from the other schools of the project. This mural will show to the rest of the school the work done and the variety of the cooking that our world has.
The pupils will finish the unit doing a worksheet. This worksheet shows different images of dishes and they have to write for example: Moussaka is Greek dish…
( worksheet 1)
( worksheet 2)
Aquesta activitat es farà en català per poder fer una millor reflexió sobre la feina feta i aconseguir respostes prou reflexives i ben expressades.
Els nens hauran de valorar quins han estat els seus progressos i la feina feta durant tot el projecte.