1- REPORTED SPEECH
- 1-I’m not happy here.
- 2-I wrote to my father yesterday.
- 3-I’ll phone to you tomorrow.
- 4-We went to London yesterday.
- 5-it’s going to rain this morning.
- 6-I’m not working today because I don’t feel well.
- 7-I saw a great film yesterday.
- 8-I only have one shirt because I’ve lost the others.
- 9-We had an exam last week and I hope that I will have good marks.
- 10-Where will you be today?
- 11-Do you have children?
- 12-Where did you park your car?
- 13-What do you want?
- 14-Are you going to a party with your girlfriend tonight?
- 15-Do you want to play football tomorrow?
2- MORE ABOUT REPORTED SPEECH:
- 1-We’re late for school
- 2-The bus didn’t arrive on time yesterday
- 3-I haven’t been here before
- 4-I can’t come today because I’m busy
- 5-We drove right down to Athens last summer
- 6-Help my sister now!
- 7-Don’t do it!
- 8-What film were you watching before I arrived yesterday?
- 9-Why didn’t Nick go to New York with you?
- 10-Did Max fly to London yesterday?
- 11-I can’t understand why Marion has missed out on an Oscar this year. I think she played the role really well
- 12-Don’t forget my book!
- 13-Did you spot any bloopers while you were watching the film?
- 14-Where were you yesterday night?
- 15-I think you should take the taxi, it will be quicker
3- CHECK GRAMMAR. CORRECT AND WRITE THESE SENTENCES:
1. He said her that he loved her.
2. She said she knows the answer. .
3. Ryan said had bought the tickets.
4. She told me don’t speak in the library.
5. Sara asked if had he finished.
6. She asked me where was my sister.
7. They asked me come back later.
8. She asked did I spoke French.
4-. GAP FILLING IN REPORTED SPEECH
1. ‘I feel ill.’ Sandra said ______________________________.
2. ‘I’m going into town.’ Mark said ______________________________.
3. ‘I studied music for five years.’ Alex said ______________________________.
4. ‘I’ve been to Shanghai.’ She said ______________________________.
5. ‘We can help you.’ Will said ______________________________.
6. ‘It will rain on Tuesday.’ The weather forecast said ______________________________ on Tuesday.
7. ‘What’s your name?’ The police officer asked me ______________________________.
8. ‘Are you over eighteen?’ The teacher asked Amy ______________________________.
5-WRITE THESE SENTENCES IN INDIRECT SPEECH CHANGING WORDS WHERE NECESSARY
a. “I’ll see you tomorrow”, she said. …
b. “I saw her today”, he said. …
c. “I don’t like this film”, she said. …
d. She said, “We went swimming today.” …
e. “I met her about three months ago”, he said. …
f. “I’ll see Mary on Sunday”, she said. …
g. “Pete and Sue are getting married tomorrow”, she said. …
h. “Stephen’s bringing some records to the party tomorrow”, she said. …
i. “I really like this furniture”, she said. …
j. “My parents are arriving tomorrow”, she said….
k. “We visited her this morning” they said. …
l. “We’ll see her next summer” they said. …
m. “They were here three months ago”, he said. …
n. “I’m meeting them at four o’clock today”, he said….
o. “I can see you tomorrow”, she said….
6-WRITE THESE QUESTIONS IN REPORTED SPEECH USING THE WORDS GIVEN
a. “What’s your name?”, he asked. (wanted to know)
b. “Do you like Marlon Brandon?”, she asked.
c. “How old are you?”, she said. (asked)
d. “When does the train leave?”, I asked.
e. “Are you enjoying yourself?”, he asked.
f. “How are you?”, he said. (asked)
g. “Does your father work here?”, she asked.
h. “Do you live near your father?”, he asked.
i. “Who did you see at the meeting?”, my mother asked.
j. “Why did you take my wallet?”, he asked.
k. “How did you get to school?”, she asked.
l. “Are you a foreigner?”, she asked.
m. “Where do you live?”, the boy asked.
n. “Have you met Danny before?”, he asked.
o. “Are you hungry?”, he asked.
p. “Why wasn’t Judy at the party?”, she asked.
q. “Why didn’t you telephone?”, my father asked.
r. “Did you borrow my dictionary?”, he asked.
s. “Why are you so late?”, the teacher asked.
t. “Have you finished your exams?”, she asked.
u. “Did you invite Judy and Mitch?”, he asked.
v. “Does your brother live in London?”, she asked.
w. “Why didn’t the police report the crime?”, the judge asked.
x. “Do you know who broke the window?”, he asked.
y. “Why you won’t let me in?”, he shouted.
7- COMMANDS, REQUESTS AND ADVICE
a. “Make some coffee, Bob”, Carol said.(ask)
b. “You must do the homework soon, Jane”, she said.(tell)
c. “Remember to buy a map, Ann” he said.(remind)
d. “You should see a doctor, Mrs Clark”, he said.(advise)
e. “Keep all the windows closed, Bill” they said.(warn)
f. “Go home, Paul”, Francis said.(tell)
g. “Please stay for supper, Bob”, he said.(try to persuade)
a. “Don’t try to be funny.”
b. “Wait here till I come.”
c. “Go to bed and don’t get up till you’re called.”
d. “Be a good girl and sit quietly for five minutes.”
e. “Watch the milk and don’t let it boil over.”
f. “Don’t take your coat off.”
g. “Don’t forget to thank Mrs Jones when you’re saying good bye to her.”
h. “Stop that dog.”