In the search in google “famous people”, the result are these people.
Who are these people? Do you know them?. Discuss about them and write their names.
Do you think they can be considered famous people? Why? Why not?
Do you think someone important is necessarily someone famous? Justify your answer. And tell the class. Can you think of an example.
Individually, write about someone you consider a famous person and tell the class about him/her without mentioning his/ her name. Let them guess who you are describing. In your description of this person you should mention the following aspects:
He/ she was born in …
He/ she was (nationality) …
He/ she lived in …
He/ she worked in …
He/ she died (age) …
What did he/ she do?
What was he/ she famous for?
Do you think he/ she will always be famous?
REMEMBER THE ADJECTIVES TO DESCRIBE PEOPLE
bald, black, blonde, blue, brown, curly, fat, grey, long , medium,
overweight, pale, plump, red, short, skinny, slim, stocky, straight, tall, tanned,
thin, wavy and white.
When there are several adjectives before a nous, they usually come in the following order:
I loved her beautiful, big, blue eyes.
opinion size colour
ADJECTIVES TO DESCRIBE PHYSICAL APPEARANCE.
10.In pairs, go to the link and fill in the chart with the adjectives: http://www.learnenglish.de/basics/appearances.html
TYPE OF HAIR
TYPE OF COMPLEXION
SOME FEATURES (it may not be polite to mention them)
ADJECTIVES TO DESCRIBE PERSONALITY
In groups of 3, look for the adjective that best applies to the definition. Once you have finished, discuss your answers with the rest of the class.
funny intelligent introverted joyful reliable honest bad-tempered big-headed brave mean tidy chatty nice hard-working generous neat grumpy polite friendly lucky nervous moody easy-going clever popular quiet shy smart bossy sociable extroverted impulsive sympathetic talkative
1. Someone who isn´t afraid of danger.
He is very _______________________ . His job is to rescue people.
2. Someone who talks a lot.
Maria is a very _______________________ person. She´s always on the phone to friends.
3. Someone who is nice to other people.
The people in my office are very _____________________ ! I love working there!
4. Someone who is truthful and who doesn´t cheat or steal.
Sarah is a very _____________________ person. She always tells the truth.
5. Someone who often has good fortune.
My brother is very _______________________. He always wins prizes in competitions.
6. A person who is very tidy.
My flatmate Jorge is very ___________________ and well organized. His room is always tidy.
7. Someone who is easily startled by things.
Anna is a very __________________ person. She gets scared easily.
8. Someone who has good manners.
Abdullah is a very ___________________ person. He always says please and thank you.
9. Adjective used to describe someone who behaves differently every time you meet them.
Nina is very ____________________. Yesterday she said hello; today she just ignored me.
10. 1) someone who is a nasty person. 2) Someone who doesn´t like spending money.
Phillip is very _____________________. He never pays for his share of things.
11. Someone who works very hard.
My brother is very _______________________. He hardly ever takes a day off.
12. Someone who shares their time or things with others.
My parents are very ____________________________ They bought me a car for my birthday!
13. Someone who gets angry a lot.
My boss is really ____________________. He isn´t an easy person to get along with.
14. Someone who is friendly and kind.
My best friend Lisa is a really ________________________ person. She is always there for me.
15. Someone who is easy to get along with.
My husband is very ______________________________.
16. Good at learning things.
Gerard is very ________________________. He always gets top marks in class.
17. Used to describe someone who is amusing.
Salem is really ______________________. He´s always entertaining us with jokes and stories.
18. Someone who is liked by many people.
My friend Alice is very ____________________________. She has a lot of friends.
19. Used to describe someone who doesn´t talk very much.
Helen is a _______________________. She isn´t very talkative.
20. Quiet and a little bit nervous around other people.
Claire is very __________________________. She doesn´t speak much in class.
21. Someone who takes a lot of care over their appearance.
Anna is very _________________________. She is always neatly dressed.
Read a biography of a person you like and think the answers:
1.What is a biography? __________________________________________________
2. What is an autobiography? _____________________________________________
3. What information is given in a biography? _________________________________
How do we write a biography?
Time expressions and connectors showing sequence.
first, second, third, … finally, …
after a short (long) time …
after a while …
at last …
since then …
In 2006 …
There are three paragraphs in this biography. Which are the main ideas in each one?
Lionel Andrés Messi (born 24 June 1987 in Rosario, Argentina) is an Argentine football player, who currently plays as a second striker for FC Barcelona. He is often touted in the media as the new “Diego Maradona” and is regarded by many as the world’s best young player. Messi has been publicly named as “Maradona’s successor” by Diego Maradona himself.
In October 2004 Messi made his official debut for the first team against RCD Espanyol, becoming the third-youngest player to ever play for FC Barcelona. When he scored his first senior goal for the club against Albacete Balompié on May 1, 2005, Messi was only 17 years, 10 months and 7 days old, making him the second youngest player ever to score a league goal for FC Barcelona along with the legendary Paulino Alcántara.
On August 4, José Pekerman called him up to the senior Argentine national team. He made his debut against Hungary. However, he only played for three minutes of the game, being shown a red card, forcing him to leave the field in his first attempt on goal. He left the pitch in tears. Messi famously acknowledged his shortened initiation in international football before Argentina’s next match against Paraguay saying “This is a re-debut, The first one was a bit short.”
The text is very rich in past simple verb tenses. Can you underline them in the text?
Which are the regular past verbs you found in the text? Which are the irregular ones? Write them down.
In pairs, read these examples and choose the correct answer.
REMEMBER: past simple / past continuous.
Messi made his debut against Hungary.
While he was playing the game the referee showed him a red card.
Past continuous past simple
Match the correct answer:
The past simple describes … a. an action in progress in the past.
The past continuous describes … b. a finished action in the past.
Individually, do the exercises that follow: past simple /past continuous.
Listen to the biography of Pablo Picasso and hold up your hand when you recognise the following words:
famous, painter, was born, aged, married, became a celebrity, death
2. Listen to the biography of Pablo Picasso again and write down 4 things which happened in his life.
3. Read the following questions and make sure you understand them. Listen to
Picasso’s biography again and write the answers to the following questions.
a. When was he born?
b. What did he do (what was his job)?
c. What is the name of his famous work?
d. What was his father’s job?
e. When he was 16, where did he go to study arts?
f. Where did he go when he was 20?
g. Who did he marry?
h. Did he become a celebrity in Paris?
i. He became famous for his anti-war views. What painting shows this?
4. In pairs, review the answers to exercises 2 and 3 and write Picasso’s biography.
PROJECT: Popular people!!
It´s time now to think of a famous person or someone you know well to write about and to give your Prezi media oral presentation.
You have to complete a project about a popular person: singer, football player, politician, actor, actress, etc.
You have to follow these steps:
1. Look for information about:
his/her birth, family, work, famous works, important dates, family details, etc.
2. Select the information and edit it (you cannot copy the text from other sources)
3. Find some pictures to illustrate your project
4. Display your information on a powerpoint. This will help you
5. Explain your project to the rest of the class, IN ENGLISH!. You will have 5-10 minutes to do it. You will be able to use the material you have prepared for your oral presentation, but you will not be allowed to READ from your PAPERS.