Turó is committed to CLIL (content language integrated learning). CLIL involves teaching a curricular subject through the medium of a language other than that normally used. The subject can be entirely unrelated to language learning, such as history lessons being taught in English in a school in Spain. CLIL is taking place and has been found to be effective in all sectors of education from primary through to adult and higher education. Its success has been growing over the past 10 years and continues to do so. In our case, all our primary pupils study P.E., science and arts & crafts in English. CLIL can offer a variety of benefits. For example:
- it builds intercultural knowledge and understanding,
- it improves language competence and oral communication skills
- it develops multilingual interests and attitudes
- it allows pupils more contact with the target language
- it increases pupils’ motivation and confidence in both the language and the subject being taught.